Thursday, November 12, 2009

Now I am a...


Master Naturalist intern. Yes, I did it--I officially "graduated" yesterday and now need to work on a project to meet the volunteer requirement. We learned so much since the beginning of September. We could easily have spent weeks on each chapter. Really, we only scratched the surface of what makes up the flora and fauna (and a few other categories) of this state of Illinois. I never knew that karsts could be so fascinating or that hill prairies are so endangered. I'll never look at an insect the same way again. I'm thinking that I'd like to do a project dealing with the urban environment. Do you think the neighbors would mind if I turned my yard into a prairie? I've also been asked to run for a position on the executive committee of our Sierra Club chapter, but I'm hesitant to bite off more than I can chew. Oh well, the holidays are fast approaching so I'm going to put everything on the back burner till January. I've worked hard to earn that title; now i need to rest a little. I have all the materials to build two raised bed garden plots so I'll probably work on that this weekend. Then I need to order some seed catalogs. I also want to extend my little prairie garden next spring so I need to think about that. Aw, November--the beginning of next year's plans and aspirations. Maybe that's what winter is for--to dream of spring. Happy dreaming.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats to you, but what I really want to know is .... is your Boxer the nuttiest dog you have ever seen in your life? We have a one year old and I've never owned a dog like her! Part Diva, part clown!!!

    ReplyDelete