Saturday, November 7, 2009

The true meaning of FOOD


I'm almost done reading Barbara Kingsolver's Animal, Vegetable, Miracle; I started reading it a couple of years ago and then set it down for a long while after a life-altering experience with a CSA. However, since I'm planning my own garden for next year, I felt the time had come to finish reading it. In the past year, I've learned to make my own bread (and since the recipe makes two loaves, I always share one with a neighbor). I've discovered that I'm not a bad chef and that it's OK sometimes to make substitutions for ingredients that I don't have on hand. The food that I create tastes better than commercially prepared food and I eat less of it as a result. (when you really taste the food you eat, you naturally eat less). I still have some bad food habits but at least I'm aware of them.
Besides making bread, I've made crackers, pumpkin fritters, cherry fruit roll-ups, and even gourmet treats for Boxer. It's fun and it's nourishing for both body and soul. I think back to 1984 when I became anorectic and how I saw food as the enemy; actually, I was my own worst enemy and still am in many ways. But today I enjoy a healthy relationship with food that's based on respect and understanding that food is meant to be a celebration and is nothing to fear. Believe me, being afraid to eat wreaks havoc with your self-esteem. By really understanding where my food comes from and its true purpose in life, I'm more and more able to pass up junky food when temptation strikes.
People may think I'm strange because I don't care much for eating out (do you really know what goes on in the kitchen of a chain restaurant?) but if making my own bread is strange, I'll gladly take it. As far as I'm concerned, it's the true American way. So throw away the pre-packaged meals and join the slow food movement--viva la vida!

1 comment:

  1. I'm one of those people that follows the God you describe. He is way too much to put in a box and larger still than some of the opinions you express toward him...(and other Christians too I might add). Reading the bible once as you describe is not a one time deal, not if you're really going to soak up what there is there TO soak up. It is a lifetime of reading and well worth the journey. I cam to be a Christian by other religions, I know them well. I do not put a face on Jesus, nor a color either. We Christians come in every color of skin there is and there are a lot more 'tinted' Christians than white. Fact. I'm sure they don't see our savior as white or their color either...whatever he might be. What color he was in this life is irrelevant, but if you look at it from another angle (art oriented)...he is 'white' in spirit, as in purity...the combination of all colors and light. Hence the use of the robe of white.

    I think it is great that you are open minded and want a huge and wild God. When you read scripture again, start with the science of Creation, the 1st book...and look to the many scientists who converted to being people of faith based on science and their academic searchings. The answers there spoke to me. The 1st book of the bible is the foundation upon which the the rest of the books are built on...all 55. Science and Faith are perfect pardners, we've just been indoctrinated by both science and faith that they have no business in the same arena. In truth, they support each other and build a bridge. Do not put your trust in people, trust in the living Word and He will never let you down. If truth is what you seek, make it all important...more important than the opinions of others and your own as well. Truth, regardless of where it may lead you must be the sincere goal. Be fearless...the real deal, be wild, be the outdoorsy Christian explorer. The God who 'takes His time' as you describe, will be your Guide. Count on it.
    By the way, 'witchery' is covered in scripture and while there are other things worse, it is not the path we are called to. It is one of many paths provided to humans to detour them, a path that offers a substitute for those that prefer to go it alone. A poor substitute too I might add - but you don't hear that from the devotees during their stay there...only after they moved on...and admittedly some never do. There are a multitude of such paths.

    You don't hear much about 'recovered' homosexuals either, but many thousands have found peace in Jesus. Peace and a life in harmony...put back together. He does that for all of us, no sin is greater than an another. The ground at the cross is a leveler. People choose to believe or not. The other 2 crosses at Calvary tell that story...one chose to believe while he hung next to our Lord, but he did choose...and with no time to pursue 'proof'. It all comes down to a willing leap of faith, no matter how much we've thought it through or studied.

    I really enjoyed your blog. Blessings be your's. Shery

    ReplyDelete